birding-aus

So many baby magpie deaths- Is this normal?

To: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Subject: So many baby magpie deaths- Is this normal?
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:32:00 +1000
Natalia,
I remind dog walkers I see in Bluegum Creek Reserve in Chatswood Sydney of the signs banning dogs. I guess you can imagine the frosty responses I get. Some walk with iPod earphones so I am not sure why they dont just stick to the suburban footpaths for all the awareness of the the environment they are passing through. But apart from the study aired recently in the papers & on Birding- Aus about depressed sightings associated with dog transits I dont have any evidence of actual deaths caused by dogs.
Have you witnessed the attacks?

On a lighter note I often cross a park in the morning on the way to work in North Sydney. One morning I was walking about 50m behind a girl in a bright floral dress. The resident magpie was working the grassed area followed by its noisy begging juvenile. The juvenile was near the path but quickly ran away to cower beside its parent when the girl walked towards it. However when I approached in my black sports coat & white shirt it rushed to my feet & begged madly. This area is also a popular off-leash dog area although the dog owners seem to be remarkably caring & controlling of their dogs behaviour & I have seen no evidence of injury to the young magpies.

Chris Charles
0412 911 184

33deg 47'30"S
151deg10'09"E