birding-aus

Cunnamulla Trip Report

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Cunnamulla Trip Report
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:10:52 +1000 (EST)
Everyone,

Just returned from a 5 night birding trip to Bowra,
Cunnamulla with Nick & Liz Livanos. It was good to
finally get back out west and our year tick lists
showed how long it had been.
Here is a brief summary of each day.

Day 1. Morpeth - Bowra
Lots of common western birds ticked with highlights
being:
Black-tailed Native-hen - Bourke STW
Diamond Dove - Enngonia
Major Mitchell's - Mitchell Hwy (Well named location
me thinks)
Little Crow - Bourke
and the highlight of the trip.....
1 female AUST. BUSTARD with 2 young!!!! between
Enngonia and the QLD border.

Day 2. Bowra
Lazy day spent wandering the homestead with a quick
trip further out.
1 male Painted Snipe
3 Banded Lapwing
more Majors
8 Budgerigar
17 Bourke's Parrot
3+ Splendid Fairy-wren
3 White-browed Treecreeper
2 Crimson Chat
Little & Black-faced Woodswallow
2 Brolga
We had a very lucky night, seeing: 2 Spotted Nightjar,
1 Tawny Frogmouth and 1 Aust. Owlet-nightjar.

Day 3. Bowra
Another day spent on Bowra with a quick trip into town
resulting in Masked Woodswallow (tick for Liz). On the
property:
2 Mulga Parrot
15 Bourke's Parrot (feeding young)
2 Black-eared Cuckoo
4 Spotted Nightjar
1 Aust. Owlet-nightjar
3 Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush
5+ Hall's Babbler

Day 4. Bowra - Quilpie Rd
Headed further west in the desperate attempt to see
Wedgebill.....failed again, but did get:
4 Glossy Ibis
1 Freckled Duck
1 Red-necked Avocet
lots of Budgerigar (feeding young in nest)
2 Red-backed Kingfisher
9 Ground Cuckoo-shrike (including 3 juveniles)
1 Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush
3 White-winged Fairy-wren

Day 5. Bowra
Nick took Liz back out west to see the nesting Budgies
and saw a juvenile Black-breasted Buzzard while there.
Back on Bowra we saw the usual with 3 highlights
being:
1 Square-tailed Kite
1 Black-breasted Buzzard
4 Red-backed Kingfisher
Finished the day eating nibbles and watching hawking
nightjars as the sun set.

Day 6. Bowra - Morpeth
Before leaving Qld we found another female Aust.
Bustard with 2 chicks (same birds??? do they move
much?)
10+ Crimson Chat
1 Black Falcon

All up we saw over 150 species, with 105 species on
the property. A huge thanks to Ian and Julie for their
hospitality and to all birding-aussers who helped with
info.

Off to Barraba / Boggabri area tomorrow so another
trip report to come.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Morpeth, NSW