birding-aus

Bird Trails -Wambo Shire,SEQ

To: <>
Subject: Bird Trails -Wambo Shire,SEQ
From: "russ lamb" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:38:36 +1000
Drove the 250km from home to Jandowae on 18/10 to spend two days checking-out
some of the Wambo Shire Bird Trails. The main goal was to see the Painted
Honeyeater (recently reported) which I'd missed on a couple of occasions since
1999.
I started with the first Jandowae trail (there are two) and visited all seven
sites, except site 3.
 Best sightings were :
      Site 2  Diamond Dove
      Site 5  Painted (2), Black, Striped, Singing,Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters,
White-winged Triller (many), Zebra Finch, Grey-crowned Babbler
       Site 5a (600m south down Cox's Rd which is couple km further west of
Site 5) Painted H/E (2), Black H/E (10+),Striped H/E, Blue Bonnet
       Site 6  Common Bronzewing
       Site 6a (Daniel Mantle's 700m south) Black-faced Woodswallow, Painted
H/E (4),
  Pallid Cuckoo,White-winged Triller (many)
        Site 1 Plumed Whistling-Duck (50+), Aust Grebe

I then started on the second Jandowae trail:
          Site 11 (creek completely dry, nothing of interest)
          Site 10 (mistletoe flowering everywhere) Balck H/E, Mistletoebird,
Brown H/E
          Site  12  dam, nothing of interest
          Site 9  nothing of interest
          Site 8  King & Red-winged Parrots, White-necked Heron, Plumed
Whistling-Duck,

    The second day I went to site 2 of  the Warra Trail (trail 7), the Belah
Scrub Walking Trail which is actually an old TSR. This site produced a Black
Falcon, both Superb & Variegated Fairy-wrens, and Zebra & Double-barred Finch.
This trail is remnant scrub with  wheat paddocks on both sides so I kept an
eagle-eye for button-quail, without success. I also visited Jandowae dam which
is site 6 of Trail 3, the Dingo Barrier Fence Trail.This site added both
spoonbills, Pelican, Sharpies (2), Black-fronted & Red-kneed Dotterel, Darter,
Black-winged Stilt.

   Cockatiels and Rufous Songlark were everywhere, as where Galah ,White-winged
Triller. All-up I saw 84 species. On the way home I made brief visits to both
Jimbour and Tarong State Forests without seeing anything exciting. On the drive
to Jandowae I did get a pair of Plum-headed Finch just 2km east of Kumbia.Atlas
sheets were completed for most stops.Raptors were scarce with only Kestrel,
Black-shouldered Kite and Black Falcon being seen. I didn't get Pied H/E and
would have loved Little Button-Quail but did enjoy talking to the farmer at
site 6a .He was both bemused and interested at the passing traffic of birders
in the past two weeks. We exchanged o'seas mammal sightings, his from Kenya,
mine from Sabah.

Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ