birding-aus

Trip to Beijing - assistance required.

Subject: Trip to Beijing - assistance required.
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:03:35 +0700
Good evening Australia,

Hello from Chiang Mai. I am travelling to Beijing for a conference
this Saturday Oct.20th and will have the full day on Sunday and
Monday, combined with a visit to the Great Wall, to bird during this
migration period.  I have read reports on Wuling Shan, Hebei which is
two and a half hours east of Beijing - perhaps some of you are
familiar with this mountain location.  Is it worth travelling to this
spot (specific details on trails would be wonderful) or are there
other suggestions for birding from Beijing.  An early morning start
from the hotel makes somewhere like Hebei accessible for a decent
day's birding and I don't mind the travel by taxi if it is worth it.
Perhaps time would be better spent elsewhere.  I would prefer to
maximise number of species during migration rather than focusing on
single species such as Brown-eared Pheasant at Baihuashan for example,
which sounds as if it also has more people.

Any recommendations and contacts re guides that people have used out
of Beijing would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Paul

--
Mr. Paul Rose
Head of Department - SS Science