birding-aus

Hill pigeon (Columba rupestris) in NW Sydney: Escapee or vagrant?

To: <>
Subject: Hill pigeon (Columba rupestris) in NW Sydney: Escapee or vagrant?
From: "Gordon and Pam" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:24:59 +1000
Dear Birders -

Saw an unusual pigeon this morning here in Schofields NSW (NW Blacktown, NW
Sydney). After searching the internet, it appears to be a hill pigeon,
Columba rupestris, a native of Central and Southern Asia..

I have tentatively identified it from pictures at:

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/SeedSpecies/HillPigeon.htm,

although the one I saw really only looks like the first picture, with the
brown crescent under the neck and the dark grey head.

(Other names from the web page are: Blue Hill Pigeon, Eastern Rock Pigeon,
Bar-tailed Rock Pigeon, White-tailed Rock Pigeon

It was on recently ploughed ground, with crested pigeons nearby. It was of
similar size, but more solidly built, with notably solid upper legs - if it
were a human it might be a rugby player.

If anyone needs, I can send photos I took, if they're any good - I haven't
looked yet.

Is this the sort of bird pigeon fanciers keep, and thus a likely escapee?

I first spotted it at 6.30 am, and it was still there a few hours later when
my son and I returned with my camera.

Cheers

Gordon Cain,

Schofields NSW