birding-aus

painted honeyeaters Qld

To: <>
Subject: painted honeyeaters Qld
From: <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:51:37 +1000
The birding-aus report by Daniel Mantle and friends  re the honeyeaters
near Jandowae stimulated Tessa & I to make a trip out there yesterday
(Thursday). I have been missing Painted HE for too long to name. The
weather wasn't great - aftermath of thunderstorms and black soil very
sticky! However, the Painted's are still there - we tracked them down at
the junction near site 6. Plenty of Black HE as well. Perhaps the most
interesting part of it (as well as finally nailing Painted HE) was that
we found a Painted Honeyeater nest - about 8-10 m off the ground in a
clump of mistletoe. Even saw the male and female swapping over
incubation duties - as mentioned in the literature. The GPS fixes on the
Wambo Shire website are spot on.

Thanks Daniel et al. for the great report on birding-aus!

Steve Blaber