birding-aus

R.L.W

To: <>
Subject: R.L.W
From: "Don Penny" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:51:35 +1000
Hi all,
Finally back from our quest for the Red Lored Whistler and Western Whipbird, to
all those interested we got the R.L.W at Round Hill, it took four days and we
had almost given up hope. Tried all the known spots and a few more besides, no
luck at the Old field, a few Gilberts came into the tape but no sign of
R.L.W's. We finally got them on Lake Cargelligo Rd, about 2ks from the Y
junction. The co-ords are Lat. 32-59-10. Long. 146.09.15. Wg.84. I think that
is very close to where Thomas and Thomas gives in his book. Strangely it was my
whistle that brought a male to answer, not the tape. He sat on a Mulga tree and
called for about two minutes, giving us great views.  The Western Whipbird was
another story, we spent a week tramping around York Peninsula, had a tape from
a chap recording them for Adelaide Zoo. Went to all known spots and wore
ourselves out, but to no avail. So guess we will never see them.
Anyway thanks to all those who helped us and we hope the above info. will help
others.

Regards Don and Jan Penny