birding-aus

STP waders - could 'wader experts' help?

To: "Wendy" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: STP waders - could 'wader experts' help?
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:32:07 +1000
Wendy
where is just north of melbourne???

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
Secretary, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
Environmental Education Officer
Donvale Christian College
155 Tindals Rd Donvale 3111
0409 090 955

>>> "Wendy" <> 10/04/07 12:12 pm >>>
Hi All,
On Tuesday a friend and I were visiting a grassland/Swamp remnant site
just to the north of Melbourne. Adjacent to the site is a local STP
including pondages.
Conditions were atrocious with unrelenting STRONG winds and bright
sunlight at low angle. At the STP there were number of ducks, waders etc
present. Some we could ID, others not
(Heard) Masked Lapwing
Hoary-headed Grebe
low (in water, appeared) dark flighty ducks
Red Kneed Dotterel
Black Winged Stilt
Australian Shelduck
little windswept grey-brown blurry waders
Welcome Swallow

Normally we would have done better, but I stress, the conditions were
awful.
Also a scope would have been handy, but I was there primarily to
'survey' the grassland/swamp flora species, look at some recent
management and photograph invertebrates!
I have some poor shots of some of the waders. Would any of the wader
enthusiasts be prepared to look at these and offer an opinion on ID?

Wendy Moore