birding-aus

RE: Decline of small waders

To: "'Marilyn Davis'" <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, "" <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: RE: Decline of small waders
From: "phil straw" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:58:06 +1000
Hi Marilyn,

Great to hear about your concern about the decline in our migratory waders.
Unfortunately it is not the result of colour flagging (I say unfortunately
because if it was the cause the solution would be simple). In actual fact
many of our smallest waders (Red-necked Stints) manage an arduous migration
to the high Arctic and return every year, some were flagged up to 18 years
ago and still going strong.

Hope you have been following the progress of the satellite tagged Bar-tailed
Godwits via our website. It is amazing to see some of these birds fly direct
from New Zealand to the top end of the Yellow Sea (near the North Korean
border) in one flight carrying satellite transmitters. These birds don't
even seem to be tired, some of them flying over 1000 or 2000km of suitable
tidal flats in South Korea to their preferred destination to refuel before
moving on to Alaska. One would think that birds carrying such a heavy
payload would be exhausted, stopping at the first opportunity. We do see of
course the occasional bird that stops off somewhere, but this becomes
obvious when looking at weather maps at the time. Their navigational skills
and assessment of weather conditions is remarkable to say the least.

The good thing about satellite tagging is that a handful of birds can tell
us more that the tens of thousands of birds flagged in the past, however, it
is because of flagging we know so much about migration routes and staging
areas, enabling us to look in the right places during field work in the Asia
Pacific over the past 20 years or so.

To get back to the decline in the numbers of waders. The worst hit are
species for which we do not have good information on migration routes, such
as the Curlew Sandpiper in Australia. This species is in serious decline and
we need to find out why. Interestingly, the Red-necked Stint seems to be
fine with numbers pretty stable over the past 25 years. There are some
species that are in decline for very obvious reasons - hundreds of square
kilometres of mudflats every year in China and Korea. Loss of habitat in
Australia is also of concern. Incremental losses over the past 60 years has
seen huge declines in the Hunter River estuary and also around Sydney.

Glad you were able to look at the Asia Pacific Shorebird Network website. We
will be working hard with the aid of researchers and volunteers to attempt
to find some of the answers about the decline in our waders. If you have not
registered as a subscriber please do so by logging in to
  by putting "please sign me up for APSN News
Alerts" in the subject. By the way the stick figures of waders and leg flags
are deliberately exaggerated to make the colour flag combinations clear for
people to see.

It will be fantastic when we reach the stage in technology to be able to do
as you suggest, or use some of the tiny transmitters in the development
stage for satellite tracking. Radio transmitters are now even been fitted to
dragonflies!! When we get to the stage we can do this with satellite
transmitters or data loggers we can forget about leg flags!! In the meantime
stay tuned to the APSN website (starting up again in a few days after a bit
of a quiet period, wrestling with internet technology to enable us to send
news alerts for four or five thousand subscribers at a time.

 Best wishes,

Phil Straw

Coordinator Asia Pacific Shorebird Network