birding-aus

Scoping out an Albany (WA) Pelagic in December

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Scoping out an Albany (WA) Pelagic in December
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:14:24 +1000
Hi all,

I'm going to the Australasian Ornithological Conference in Perth, WA this
December, and wanted to try and get out on a pelagic while I was there.
Since there's none organised I thought I'd see if there was enough interest
for me to organise one out of Albany, WA the following weekend.

The date would be Sunday 9th December, and the cost is being quoted as
between $120 and $170 per person (this will depend on numbers I suspect).
I'll be able to get a firmer idea on price if there are enough people to
warrant running the trip - they said it may be cheaper for birdwatchers.
I'd like to stress this is a shared cost venture, I'll be paying the same as
everyone.

At this stage we're looking to get about 18 pax on board, and I already have
5 takers, so there are 13 spots left.  In the past early summer pelagics off
Albany have produced some cracking rarities like Sooty Albatross and Grey
Petrel (see Frank O'Connor's trip reports:
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/pelagics/pelagics.htm), and for
most birders it's a good chance to pick up something that would almost never
turn up off the east coast.  Who knows, we might even get a rare
Storm-Petrel?

Please let me know off-list if you are interested.

Regards,
Chris