birding-aus

Anoraks to Zitting Cisticolas

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Anoraks to Zitting Cisticolas
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:33:31 +1000
The title is Sean Dooley's new book. It is subtitled "a whole lot of
stuff about birdwatching" but could have equally been subtitled
"everything you wanted to know about birdwatching but were afraid to
ask".

It is therefore a definitive book about birding and the birding world in
Australia. Although the book is written in Sean unmistakable style and
is therefore extremely amusing, this is a book attempts to define
Australia birding.  He discusses over 80 topics in 270 pages. Every
birder from the twitcher to dudes will enjoy this read.

Some of the more serious topics covered by Sean include Climate change,
Ethical birding and the ethics of spotlighting and play back calls.

I particularly enjoyed  the section on Asbirders Syndrome  and I'm still
racking my brains about who was Sean's inspiration for Captain
Twitchpants.I have several contenders come to mind but I suspect Sean is
ending up himself.

I bought my copy direct from Sean but it will be available from Andrew
Isles and other leading book shops in October (this is unlikely to
include Big W).

At $25, it is great value and a great read. I thoroughly recommend it.

Regards

Allan Benson