birding-aus

RFI spotting scopes

To: "Dave Torr" <>
Subject: RFI spotting scopes
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:24:33 +1000
I have a Leica T77 with 32x eyepiece. It has a wonderful wide range view, is crystal clear, sharp to the max, no halo or rainbows. I get every minute detail of the bird every time and it's a pleasure to use. You feel like you're standing next to the bird with a magnifying glass. The eyepiece is extremely generous and you'll never want to use those peepshow things which cheaper brands supply once you've used the Leica. The Leica has a nice quick focus ring to get you from distant to close very rapidly which is sometimes useful and a fine focus ring, which is always useful.

I've used Swarovski scopes and the optics are as good or perhaps better if possible. They are more compact, lighter and I think easier to manage. I also like the large focal ring which encompasses the body of the scope. Both scopes are excellent in low light conditions - the very time when birding is frequently at its best.

I'm not sure about the strength of Swarovskis but I think that the Leicas must have the toughness edge. They certainly look more robust. Recently my scope took a tumble when wind caught it on a rocky reef. The tripod was on top of a large boulder, so the scope fell a distance of three metres. It got one small impact mark on the front rubber-coated lens hood and the scope still functions as perfectly as the first time I used it. The tripod was shattered and had to be repaired at a welders. In summary: they're very tough.

When at the Broome Bird Observatory we used to have some old Kowas (they've updated their scopes recently). The old Kowas must have really stood up to some tough treatment over many years but despite their battered exteriors, they still did the job very nicely and I have to say that I have produced some beautiful digiscoped images through them (I'll send copies of images if you wish).

As for eyepieces, I would steer away from zoom lenses on Kowas or any of the cheaper brands as you loose quality when zooming at higher magnifications. They're fine on Swarovskis and guess they would be on Leicas (though I haven't used one on this brand to memory). I cannot think of any reason why you would want anything but an angled eyepiece. They'll save you considerable back ache, are vastly superior for most digiscoping and make viewing raptors overhead quite achieveable without kneeling on the ground. You can't do that so easily with a straight eyepiece. I think that straight eyepieces are for people who use these scopes for other applications, like hunting.

My only word of warning is don't buy a cheap scope.

Ricki Coughlan
Sydney