birding-aus

Tricky night bird call

Subject: Tricky night bird call
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:30:35 +1000
Bcc:

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 11:26:38AM +1000, Peter Shute wrote:
> For those who can't be bothered following the link: "BirdXPeller PRO
> features birds' distress cries on a microchip (supplied by a major
> American university)".  There are apparently 8 species they can choose
> from, including some raptors.  More than enough to attract birders!  Has
> anyone else been fooled by one of these?

While waiting for a ferry in a small seaside town in Malaysia (Kuala
Besut) a couple of months ago I could hear continual swiftlet chittering
coming from a short distance away.  After wandering up a backstreet
I discovered it was coming not from birds but speakers set up on the
second story of a building.  The goal is "swiflet farming" attracting
swiftlets to breed in the building so their nests can be harvested,
apparently a thriving industry:
http://www.jphpk.gov.my/English/Sept05%205f.htm

Andrew