birding-aus

NW South America at Christmas - anyone interested?

Subject: NW South America at Christmas - anyone interested?
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:43:21 +1000
Hi All

I have discussed this with the the list moderator (Russell).

I have planned a birding trip down the coast of South America from
Lima in Peru to Santiago in Chile. The main purpose is to observe all of the rare and endemic seabirds of the region but also to target the special land birds, particularly waders, of the area. The route has
been specifically chosen so that we sample the seabirding waters of
both Peru and Chile, the Humboldt current. We will also visit Lake
Junin and Bolivia for Junin and Short-winged Grebes.

The seabird targets include the possibility of seeing 16 different
species of Albatrosses, 17 Petrels, 6 Shearwaters and 10 Storm-
Petrels including: Humboldt Penguin, Waved and many other Albatross
species, Kermadec, Galapagos, Juan Fernandez, Masatierra,
Stejneger’s, Mottled, White-headed and Grey Petrels, Pink-footed,
Buller’s and Galapagos Shearwaters, Hornby’s, Elliot’s, Black and White-bellied, Wedge-rumped and Markham’s Storm-Petrels, Peruvian and Magellan Diving-Petrels, Peruvian Pelican, Peruvian and other
Boobies, Guanay Cormorant, Red-legged Shag, Grey Gull, Band-tailed
Gull, Trudeau’s Tern, Peruvian Tern, Inca Tern and a range of other seabirds.

We will start with a pelagic from Lima and then look for endemics at
Santa Eulaia, marcopomacocha and La Oroya. The targets here will be
Diademed Sandpiper-Plover but also Andean lapwing and Avocet, a range of other waders and endemics. From here we will travel to Lake Junin for the endemic Junin Grebe. We will then fly to Bolivia in the
search of Short-winged Grebe as well as Giant and Horned Coots but
also some high Andes endemics, including 3 species of Flamingo at
Laguna Slainas. We will then drive back to the coast at Arica in time for our second pelagic. We will do some birding around Arica at Lauca National Park looking for Tinamous, Rheas, Waders and endemics. We
will then visit Iquique and Arica in search of the localized endemic
Tamrago Conebill and Horned Coot and other local endemics. We will
then visit Vaparaiso for our last pelagic and La Campana, Laguna El
Peral and El Yeso Road and onto Santiago to continue looking for
Diademed Sandpiper-Plover other waders and endemics.

It will be a 3 week trip but we only have a fairly short time frame
as the trip will start on the 20th of December and finish on the 9th
of January. We only need 5 people for this trip to go ahead but the
more we have (to a maximum of 11) the cheaper it will be.

I can provide more details for anyone interested and please pass this around to anyone else you think may be interested in coming along.

Thanks very much – it should be awesome.

Phil.

Philip dot Hansbro at newcastle.edu.au