birding-aus

Striated Thornbill distribution

To: birdingaus aus <>
Subject: Striated Thornbill distribution
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:45:44 +1000
Hi all

I'm hoping that some of you can help me out. I'm interested in distribution constraints on Striated Thornbills. I've a number of theories to test, but in the first instance, I'm interested in distribution alone.

Striated Thornbills are quite abundant in forests/woodlands on the ranges and "coast" from South Australia to south east Queensland, but how close to the coast are they found? Does anybody on the list have records of Striated Thornbills within: 3 kilometres of the coast? 2 kms of the coast? 1 km of the coast? or less than 1 km from the coast?

I'm looking for signs that these birds carve out a life for themselves very close to the coast. I cannot recall one time that I have seen even a lone, stray, Striated Thornbill within 3 or 4 kms of the sea.

I got several family groups raising fledgelings yesterday at Ingleside on the northern beaches of Sydney. This would be 4.5 kms from the coast as the thornbill flys, but it is also quite elevated, being on a high plateau, so conditions were not as "coastal" as down on the northern peninsula. On the south side of Sydney, near Kirrawee/ Grays Point, I've also got several families building nests and another nearby group of families each raising fledglings. The site is fairly close to water, but is not "on the coast". i.e. it's quite elevated compared to Cronulla or Bundeena.

Breeding observations would be considered the most robust evidence, regular sightings would be considered next most compelling and single birds or one-off observations not nearly so exciting.

TIA

Ricki Coughlan
Sydney

http://www.redtail.net.au