birding-aus

Re: Walking the dog is bad for birdlife

To: "Dave Torr" <>
Subject: Re: Walking the dog is bad for birdlife
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:49:21 +1000
Its unfortunate, but many dogs cant read ; )...and a sign usually doesn't
stop owners taking their dogs into signposted areas.

It would be great to have signs that actually inform the public on these
issues. A sign saying "No dogs allowed", just makes people defiant about
their rights. But a sign that explains what impacts dogs can have, the
birdlife in the area, and accompanying photographs of ground-nest birds
etc will at least inform people to a point where ignorance isn't an
excuse.

"Dave Torr" <>
12/09/2007 06:42 PM

"" <>
cc
birdingaus <>
Subject
Re: [Birding-Aus] Re: Walking the dog is bad for birdlife

Another similar case (in the same area) is the proposal to put in a
new park on the western bank of the Werribee River - opening up what
is now a very isolated area to anyone and again potentially
threatening valuable bird habitat. At a recent meeting in Werribee
Parks Victoria expressed surprise at any opposition - and assured us
that dogs, horses, trail bikes etc would not be allowed!