birding-aus

Dangerous birds

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Dangerous birds
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:44:16 +0930
Hi there birders,

I have had some correspondence with someone claiming that swooping magpies are far more dangerous than any other bird. This person claims that Australian Magpies have been responsible for at least five deaths, compared with Cassowaries one death (a well documented case in 1926).

In my search I can find only one reference to a death attributed to a magpie, an elderly gentleman who was pecked in the eye by a magpie and who later died. I also came across a story about a cyclist who was swooped and fell from his bike. The injuries sustained were considerable and he was in a critical state for some time but eventually recovered.

Does anyone have any knowledge of (including references) to any deaths attributed to magpie attacks?

Trevor

--
Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge