birding-aus

An Albert's Outlier

To: L&L Knight <>, birding Aus <>
Subject: An Albert's Outlier
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:42:02 +1000
Hello Laurie,

    Your lyrebird sighting was in the Carabeen Nature Refuge.  It is the
richest Albert's Lyrebird area I know - richest in terms of the density of
mature singing males.

Circa 1960, it was up for sale - it is freehold - and a Mrs Rosser bought it
to save the rainforest from being cleared.  Google up an image of it and
you'll see that it is surrounded by cleared land.  Good rich red volcanic
soil.  Excellent for pasture or cultivation.  When I first tape-recorded the
lyrebirds there in 1969 it had a rainforest link, not to the north, but east
to the NSW border where Koreelah National Park preserves the rainforest.
Sadly that link was cleared decades ago.

When the Nature Conservation Act came into force in the 1990s and made
provision for Nature Refuges, Mrs Rosser entered into an agreement with the
government, making it a Refuge.  And ever since she bought the land  almost
half a century ago, she has been paying local authority rates on it - just
to preserve the rainforest and its wildlife.  What a wonderfully
public-spirited lady she is.

I should add that it remains private property and one should not enter it
without the permission of the owner.  But the Boonah-Killarney Road runs
through it.   The dawn chorus is magnificent.  Just pull up, open your car
window and enjoy - if you're there at dawn.

Cheers

Syd