birding-aus

Painted Honeyeaters, Black-eared Cuckoos in Capertee Valley NSW

Subject: Painted Honeyeaters, Black-eared Cuckoos in Capertee Valley NSW
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:48:56 +1000
The Capertee Valley has really come to life in the last couple of weeks (after a quiet winter due to the prolonged effect of the drought). I've just had 3 trips there in 3 crazy days, including yesterday when I met with members of Blue Mountains Bird Observers for lunch at my cabin. Several recently arrived migrant species were obvious yesterday (2 Sept) which had not been there the previous two days. These were:

Painted Honeyeater (at least 3 birds calling)
Rufous Whistler
White-throated Gerygone
White-winged Triller
Black-eared Cuckoo

The Painted Honeyeaters are at least a week earlier than usual, and seem to be especially vociferous. These have to be one of my VERY favourite birds!

It seems to be a good year for Black-eared Cuckoos in this area. They've been calling in several places in the valley recently and this is only the second time I've recorded them at my place.

Also on my place, Painted Button-quails are everywhere! It's impossible to walk around without flushing at least one.

Regent Honeyeaters are in the valley in small numbers but are hard to find. In the last 3 days I've seen 3, including one nest which is possibly active.

The Capertee Valley is in the NSW central tablelands.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
http://www.bmbirding.com.au