birding-aus

LWK?s on the Strzelecki

Subject: LWK?s on the Strzelecki
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:13:49 +1000
LWK's on the Strzelecki
On our way back to Melbourne from a 3 month trip to the NW and top End (Trip Report is in preparation), we saw Letter-winged Kites on the Strzelecki Track as follows:-

22/08/07 - 30.1 k south of the crossing - 1 bird roosting in a coolibah east of track, along with a Black Kite on a nest and a pair of Kestrels on a nest, all in the same tree

22/08/07 - 23.3 k south of the crossing - 1 bird roosting in a coolibah west of track

25/08/07 - 28.4 k south of the crossing - 2 birds in separate coolibahs west of track. The first bird was detected when it was 'defending' its tree from a Black Kite. The second bird flew in to another tree about 80m away and seemed to be trying to distract me from the first bird, which I was photographing. These birds could have been breeding but I didn't see a nest.

25/08/07 - 30.1 k south of the crossing -1 bird roosting in same coolibah as on 22/8, along with the Black Kite and the Kestrels.

We looked at every tree south of the crossing (as we had done unsuccessfully on several occasions in previous years) but if the birds were roosting in the side of the tree away from the road they would not be seen in most cases.

We drove south from the Strzelecki Track to Balcanoona and followed Balcanoona Creek to the west side of Lake Frome, but did not see any more LWK's.

Thanks to Ian May for posting his report of recent sightings on the track, and to my mates Geoff and Bill who both left messages on my mobile advising me of Ian's report. This is a great example of the value of Birding-aus.

Cheers

Frank Pierce