birding-aus

Dog fences

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Dog fences
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:55:13 +1000
G'day Birders, art Easter this year I did a trip to SW QLD including Bowra and west to SA (sorry, never did get around to posting a trip report, needless to sat it was fantastic). At several spots along the road we encountered 'dog fences' eg NSW QLD border and west of Thargomindah. Does anyone know why these fences are still maintained? I mean there are 'dogs' on both sides of the fence. At one point (Bullo Downs Road) we saw a forlorn looking Emu peering through the fence, knowing the grass must have been greener on the other side.

Can anyone enlighten me on the value of these fences.

Thanks
Graham Turner