birding-aus

A problem with Blackbirds

To: "Trevor Hampel" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: A problem with Blackbirds
From: "Margaret Cameron" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:50:02 +1000
When I lived in Geelong (Victoria) there were lots of Blackbirds. I had a small garden which had 4 nesting pairs which hatched young every year (sometimes more than once - I didn't keep track). They often built nests in extremely dopey places - for example in a vine on a fence where my cat could see into it on her daily parade around the top of the fence. Yes I had a cat which did catch Blackbirds over the 10+ years we lived there - one adult male and a couple of babies just out of the nest. The dead babies I found had mostly killed themselves in stupid or tragic ways - like trying to walk out under the front gate, getting stuck, and dying there. I did not find the cat was a Blackbird deterrent, I just swept up the mulch now and again.

Liz Kerr kept the Blackbirds off some of her garden beds with a kind of plastic netting which I assume she bought at a garden shop. It was dark green so was not offensively visible. It was no good on beds she wanted to plant things in or work in frequently (she had many bulbs) but OK on beds that had shrubs surrounded by lots of thick mulch.

Margaret Cameron