birding-aus

Powerful Owls and Plastic Fish

To: <>
Subject: Powerful Owls and Plastic Fish
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:21:31 +1000
Our elderly next door neighbour has a tree in her back garden from which she
has several large plastic fish ornaments dangling vertically from branches on
the ends of string. Two nights ago (at about 11 p.m.) she came rushing over to
our place for some urgent assistance. Apparently, a Powerful Owl had swooped
down onto one of the ornaments and, in the process, became entangled in one or
more of the strings. Our neighbour had been woken up by the screeching and when
she saw the bird she wanted me to assist her to free it. However, by the time I
reached the neighbour's back garden the owl had freed itself and was nowhere to
be seen.

I assume that the Powerful Owl (which is a regular visitor to our gardens)
regarded the fish ornaments as potential prey. Has anyone else observed
something like this?

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW