birding-aus

Royal Albatross, C & B taxonomy and Biogeography.

To: "Ross Silcock" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "John Penhallurick" <>
Subject: Royal Albatross, C & B taxonomy and Biogeography.
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:27:31 +1000

< I do not understand how any sane person can split the Northern (sanfordi) and Southern (epomophora) Royal Albatrosses when the Tamura-Nei cytochrome-b distance between them is 0.0000.>

(What ever that means!)

"Ross Silcock" <> said:

< Issues of sanity aside, shouldn't biological considerations (as mentioned by Double et al for other decisions) be at least as important as genetic indications? If there is minimal or no gene flow between given populations because of location or timing of breeding, then these populations would be at worst incipient species.>

But Ross, surely there has to be gene flow? According to the Onley & Scofield 1970 there are hybrids at Taiaroa Heads and mixed Northern/Southern pairs on Enderby Island. So where is the biological separation? Certainly not location or timing of breeding.

Rather than incipient species, perhaps they're going the other way and better regarded as converging taxa (the word 'species' is now almost meaningless).

Unfortunately, it seems to me that there is at best a remote association between modern 'taxonomy' and 'sanity'. Onley & Scofield 1970 would recognise twenty (20) albatross 'species' for Australia, Christidis & Boles just ten (10). Where is the consensus and therefore sanity there! So no longer is it a matter of science and therefore a matter of fact but even more so than it was traditionally, a matter of opinion.

Which brings me to the other point. Since these days splitting taxa is politically influenced as it has serious implications for conservation, an argument with which I have some sympathy (e.g. Helmeted/Yellow-tufted Honeyeater in Victoria!) then let us take political association further and apply it to what we count as Australia. Excluding Christmas Island from Australia on biogeographical grounds as espoused by Peter Menkhorst ('Questions about Pizzey & Knight Edition 8', 14th August) and supported by David Adams ('Biogeography', 20th August) is very dangerous. If you think that the locals or the Indonesians would provide the same protection for Abbott's Booby and the other Christmas Island indigenous birds (oh dear, I nearly said species), you're wrong. The arguments for retaining and embracing Cocos (Keeling) and Heard Island are similar. Regarding Macquarie Island it is geologically loosely connected to Australia via Tasmania rather than New Zealand by a succession of undersea ridges. So I say that Les Christidis and Walter Boles do the right thing by producing one list which covers Australia and its territories, land, seabed and water out to the 200 Nm exclusive economic zone. Australians are visiting our far-flung territories with increasing frequency so any field guide omitting those areas do us no favours and forgo the opportunity to tighten our claim on these regions. Shame on you!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136