birding-aus

Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear

To: "Peter Waanders" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Recent experiences with purchasing birding gear
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:24:15 +0800
I purchased my binoculars and scope online from the U.S.A. I had been purchasing other items in this manner for a few years so I guess I was rather comfortable with the idea.

My Pentax bins came from a store selling through eBay. I bought these in late 2005. Because the seller could not reduce the already wholesale price (which turned out to be around $500 AuD at the time) he was throwing in a pair of Burris binoculars for free as a "glovebox pair". Both sets of bins were brand new and arrived quickly. They were paid for via Paypal.

I purchased my Nikon scope and Manfrotto tripod in February this year from binoculars.com. The package with postage cost me about $700 AuD all up. Again, postage was fast and the items were brand new and in excellent condition. I believe this was a credit card purchase, but most legitimate sites are secure in this regard so it didn't concern me.

If I'd purchased these items from Australia I'd easily have paid a few hundred more for each item. I'm very happy with buying from overseas for optics.

Belinda
Narrogin