birding-aus

Painted Snipe conservation status (and surveys!)

Subject: Painted Snipe conservation status (and surveys!)
From: Dean Ingwersen <>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:59:14 +1000
Hi all,

A few points to follow up the discussion on
Painted Snipe.  One of my colleagues has just
written some text for the Federal government?s
threatened species unit for the species, part of
which involved checking the listing in each state/territory:

Federal: Listed as Vulnerable under the
Environment Protection and Biodiversity
Conservation Act 1999 as Australian Painted Snipe Rostratula australis.

Queensland: Listed as Vulnerable under the Nature
Conservation (Wildlife) Regulation 2006 as Rostratula benghalensis.

New South Wales: Listed as Endangered under the
Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 as Rostratula benghalensis australis.

Victoria: Listed as Threatened under the
Threatened List 2006 supplementing the Flora and
Fauna Guarantee (FFG) Act 1988 as Rostratula benghalensis.

South Australia: Listed as Rare under the
National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 (Schedule 9) as Rostratula benghalensis

Western Australia: Listed as Rare or Likely to
Become Extinct on the Wildlife Conservation
(Specially Protected Fauna) Notice 2006(2) as
Rostratula benghalensis australis.

Northern Territory: Listed as Vulnerable under
the Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act
2000 as Rostratula benghalensis australis.

Although this again highlights some discrepancies
which exist in lists, the good thing is that the
Federal government listed the species as R.
australis following the nomination a few years
ago based on a paper written by several people
involved with the Painted Snipe ?team?
coordinated by Birds Australia?s Threatened Bird
Network and the Australasian Wader Studies
Group.  And (hoping I don?t speak out of turn
here) there is about to be a paper published
which supports it as a full species (R.
australis) based on genetic work done by various
people involved in the project.  And I?ve also
heard a rumour it will be treated as such in the
new Christidis and Boles list based on this new
paper?but don?t quote me on this as things can
change unexpectedly.  So even if it does drop off
the CAMBA appendix, it will still be well covered by the EPBC Act.

For those interested I can supply copies of
papers published, and newsletters which we have
produced here at the TBN, on Australian Painted
Snipe.  We are also running surveys again this
year, with the first to occur on the weekend of
the 27-28 October.  For more information please don?t hesitate to contact me.

Cheers, Dean Ingwersen
Threatened Bird Network coordinator
Birds Australia