birding-aus

Eastern Bristlebird, Pilotbird & Rock Warbler

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Eastern Bristlebird, Pilotbird & Rock Warbler
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
Well folks I have just got back from a few days in Sydney on business but
managed to include a day out at Barren Grounds NR.

Got a brief glimpse of a Pilotbird (lifer) near the park entrance and then
spent a lot of time looking for Eastern Bristlebird but due to the windy (and
cold) conditions they all seemed to have gone very quiet.   I suspect I saw the
tail end of a Southern Emu-wren disappearing away into the undergrowth on the
Service Access track but not sure if there are also Fairy-wrens in the area so
wasn't game to call it.  The calls emanating from the area immediately before
were those of an Emu-wren though.

Realising the conditions were not in my favour I headed on to Bomaderry Creek
Recreation Park and managed to see a pair of Rock Warblers (lifer).  What great
little birds, they are far more colourful than my guidebooks show and were very
entertaining and inquisitive about the Audubon squeaker. I also got a
magnificent view of a Yellow-tufted Honeyeater.

After this returned to Barren Grounds as the wind was dying down and finally
managed to see an Eastern Bristlebird (lifer) on the Gilbert's (track?), I even
saw the bristles I was that close.  Returning to the carpark there was a very
tame Long-nosed Potoroo that appeared to be quite used to humans being around
and in fact even came over to us to see if we had any food for him.  It was a
bit of a concern when immediately afterwards a Grey Goshawk appeared in the
trees directly overhead.

I noticed on the Service Access Track two piles of feathers the first could
only have been from a Ground Parrot as they had yellow, lime green and black
stripes on them.  The second pile of feathers were longer with wide black and
white striping.  I suspect these were also from a Ground Parrot but with less
certainty.   I hope the baiting programme improves the odds a little for the
birds in the area!

This trip brings my tally of Aussie bird species to 599. If only I had managed
to find a Red-whiskered Bulbul on the trip back to Sydney I would have reached
my target, mind you an introduced feral probably isn?t the right bird to
celebrate my 600 milestone with anyway!