birding-aus

Goulburn River N.P.

To: <>
Subject: Goulburn River N.P.
From: <>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:09:21 +1000
Spent a few days at Goulburn River N.P. (Mudgee area N.S.W) last week where
good rains in June have made the area alot 'greener' than it has been for a
long time. For those who know the area, water levels in the river itself must
have been 20-30 feet above the normal height with alot of debri in the trees
just below the Spring Gully camping area. Many of the river oaks along the
banks have also been flattened. There were a number of usually dry creeks still
flowing into the river as well. As far as birds go nothing out of the ordinary
to report but I think the area would be well worth a visit over the next few
months as I think it will be a good breeding season for many species that
havent had conditions like these for a number of years. Had a quick look at
Honeyeater Flat, Munghorn Gap N.R, on the way home where there were also plenty
of birds enjoying the good conditions. There is alot of mistletoe in flower
keeping the common honeyeaters (New Holland, Eastern Spinebills, Wattlebirds,
Brown-headed) happy but I didn't see any Regent Honeyeaters which are always a
possibility in the area, although my time spent looking was brief.