birding-aus

Lewin's Rail & gallopping horse

Subject: Lewin's Rail & gallopping horse
From: <>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:03:02 +0000
A group of friends met up at Rainbow Beach, Cooloola National Park -east of Gympie, Qld.- over the weekend and, as on a previous visit, we managed to snaffle some really nice species.

The first afternoon and evening was spent checking the heathlands down Cooloola Way for Ground Parrot. None were seen during our few hours of searching, but in the few moments before darkness many began calling. We all agreed there were at least between 12 and 15 birds calling and possibly many more. And this was within a small section of the heath. On the last visit back in January they were much more visible.

Next morning -Saturday, we all headed to Inskip Point to look for the Black-breasted Button-quail and Beach Stone-curlew. The latter were absent, but all five observers that were then present all managed to gain good views of the button-quails. Plaxy Barratt and I managed a female just a few metres away from us without trying, as we did a Dingo across the straight on Fraser Island through the scope. Dan Mantle, Beth Symonds and Jen Garden managed four birds and even females calling.

Other good records for Inskip Point were of a Collared Kingfisher, the Gull-billed Tern, a Brahminy Kite, Osprey. Other than that, though, all was as it is normally is, profuse and diverse.

Later that morning, after morning breakfast, we went for a walk through the rainforest (yes, tht's right, rainforest -a surprise to me at least) from the Bymien Picnic Area to Lake Poona. Things were very quite by this time and probably the most interesting thing seen was a Green Catbird roosting very high within a tree and for the most part silent.

Back to the house for a nanny nap and then that afternoon we returned to the Ground Parrot site for another try at the bird, as well as maybe the Grass Owl and Southern Emu-wren. We heard emu-wrens on a few occasions and a couple of the group managed to latch onto and observe a female. The parrots were quiet as we made our way through the heath, but just as we were resigning ourselves to not seeing them, and heading back to the vehicle, one flew up ahead of us and took off towards the woodland to the east. It was flushed again and disappeared. It was the only bird we saw on this occasion.

Then again, just before dark, many Ground Parrots began to call. Clearly, they were intent on sitting tight, though. A raptor was seen almost on dusk, which turned out to be a huge Spotted Harrier quartering over the heath. Then, someone called out Gallinule! And to the east in the wetter heath we heard a Lewin's Rail, a bird that none of us had managed to snag as yet. We heard it again and again. And then another bird off behind it. We listened to one of its calls and everyone cacked themselves, for it sounded like Audie Murphy on a fast moving horse. We all got out our whips!

With the last hint of light in the sky and a couple of Grass Owls starting up, we sat tight with our spotties and waited. Shortly after the excitment began, first one bird then another. Plaxy and I shone the light upon the performers, a bird each, but when they crossed another in the sky things became a little confused. We didn't know what bird to concentrate on. One took off not to be seen again, whilst the other alighted on a nearby bush and remained there for quite a few minutes. An excellent way to wrap up the night.

Next morning, our last, Dan, Beth and Jen went off to chase up the Beach Stone-curlew again, whilst Plax and I went off in the opposite direction to look for Brush Bronzewings and fruit-doves. None of us were successful with our target birds, although Plax and I heard a couple of the season's first Shining Bronze-cuckoo at Camp Milo, as well as a few Eastern Spinebill hawking insects and wing-flapping.

We all said our goodbyes back at the house and departed, Dan, the lucky bugger, off to the Gobi Desert. Thanks guys, for a great weekend!

Best Regards,
Michael Wood