birding-aus

Red-tailed Black Cockatoo in Mildura?

Subject: Red-tailed Black Cockatoo in Mildura?
From: "Pedionomus" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:59:38 +1000
Hello all,

At the present I am enjoying holidays in a very wet Perth. I am staying with relatives in Thornlie, one of the southern suburbs, and have been enjoying Black-Cockatoos of the western type. Both Baudin's and Carnaby's have flown over the neighbourhood, most though have been Carnaby's.

Mick Todd referred to a Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo which had visited the Riverina of NSW. Off the top of my head it was around 2002. A pair had first been sighted by John and Glenys (now dec.) Nevinson on the property known as 'The Ranch' where they remained for about a month. The pair were observed by a number of pther people also while in this location. They left and all thought that would have been the last they would be heard of. Whether it was the same pair or not we can't be sure, however a female turned up only a couple days later at Oolambeyan National Park. Talking with one of the neighbours to the park he indiciated he had seen a pair, however one bird had come to blows with a powerline (it was thought) and had died. The female bird happily made itself at home at Oolambeyan for almost three months before heading off.

This bird was observed feeding mostly on the ground on catheads and other seeds and once observed feeding on the cone of White Cypress Pine.

During the same period a male bird was also observed at Hillston, about an hours drive north of Griffith, NSW.

Discussions with various people, and based on the behaviour of this female bird I think it was thought that the bird had come from the the Darling River group. I would have to check the notes which I had made to make sure I am right on that.

It will be interesting to see if others see the bird and how long it hangs around for.

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith, NSW