birding-aus

Parrot destruction and the Phillipines

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Parrot destruction and the Phillipines
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:30:46 +1000
I bring to your attention a recent event in the Phillipines via Grrl Scientist;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/07/ birds_in_the_news_91_v3n18.php

Original; http://www.mindanews.com/index.php? option=com_content&task=view&id=2823&Item

As information supplied in the blog's comments from Phillip Metz http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/07/ birds_in_the_news_91_v3n18.php#comment-501996 and see also
http://www.indonesian-parrot-project.org/

"What does not seem to me appropriate (or scientific) is the repeated decision to kill these birds merely out a fear that they might harbor H5N1-AI."

What's the point of protecting smuggled parrots if the wild population is going to be destroyed when the smuggling is intercepted? As an individual, what can I do about this practice? Write the embassy? Is there anything further that we can do about it?

thank you for your attention

scot

--
Autonomous Organisation