birding-aus

Brisbane.

To: "Steve Murray" <>
Subject: Brisbane.
From: peter crow <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:58:25 +1000
House sparrows were quite common in Brisbane as late as the 1980s but since have almost disappeared. I put it down partly to the lack of nesting opportunities. There are few if any roofs they can enter and very few dense hedges near houses. The other thing is that choock yards have disappered here.Both of these were nesting sites near my home. When they disappeared so did the sparrows.

As Steve says Shopping centres and around the Port are the only places I see them.

HS are quite common in a few far western towns, Thargominda, Windorah, etc where there are lots of old sheds the birds can nest in. Its almost a re-education watching them fly into these places each evening.

Peter