birding-aus

RE: Tawny Frogmouth window strike - image from feather dust!

To: "Plaxy BARRATT" <>, <>
Subject: RE: Tawny Frogmouth window strike - image from feather dust!
From: "Chris Glen" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:02:11 +1000
did you get aphoto?

________________________________

From: Plaxy BARRATT
        Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2007 5:54 PM
        Cc: Peter Kyne; ; Chris Glen; Elizabeth
Symonds; Daniel Mantle; ; Mike Bennett
        Subject: Tawny Frogmouth window strike - image from feather
dust!

        Hi Birders,

        This morning when we arrived at work my fellow birding
colleagues and I were amazed to find an outline of a Tawny Frogmouth on
a ground floor window, created by the deposition of dust from the bird's
feathers as it struck the window. Although saddened by the plight of the
poor bird, we couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the image
created. The white dust contrasted with the heavily tinted window,
creating a very striking image (no pun intended!), not too unlike a
'snow angel' in shape! The wings of the bird were upswept, leaving
defined, curved trails of dust. The head and body are apparent too, with
the unmistakable, large, triangular beak outlined in the middle! The
bird was nowhere to be found, so hopefully it made it away okay.

        I'm wondering what caused the Tawny to strike the window:
whether it could see a reflection in the glass, created by a nearby
street light perhaps, which it tried to attack/prey upon; or whether it
simply did not see the dark window at all, in the dark. I would be
interested to hear if anybody has seen something similar, as I have
never witnessed a nocturnal bird window strike before.

        Cheers,

        Plaxy Barratt

        Toowoomba, Qld

        p.s. I did take a photo; if anyone is interested I can email it
directly.

        ___________________________

        Disclaimer

        WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) has originated
from a Queensland Government department and may contain information that
is confidential, private, or covered by legal professional privilege,
and may be protected by copyright.

        You may use this e-mail only if you are the person(s) it was
intended to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way. No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or
copy this e-mail without appropriate authority. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately by phone or
e-mail and delete this e-mail, including any copies, from your computer
system network and destroy any hardcopies.

        Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail represents the views of the
sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

        Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of
computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no
warranty that all viruses have been detected and cleaned. Any use of
this e-mail could harm your computer system. It is your responsibility
to ensure that this e-mail does not contain and is not affected by
computer viruses, defects or interference by third parties or
replication problems (including incompatibility with your computer
system).

        E-mails sent to and from the Environmental Protection Agency
will be electronically stored, managed and may be audited, in accordance
with the law and Queensland Government Information Standards (IS31,
IS38, IS40, IS41 and IS42) to the extent they are consistent with the
law.