birding-aus

Seabird blown ashore in Vic

Subject: Seabird blown ashore in Vic
From: <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:08:47 +1000
Hi all,

Related to this, Joy Tansey and I had a very pleasnt day in the sun at Pt
Lonsdale, Vic, watching seabirds in the Rip. No wind and very calm seas. the
best part for watching was, it was cold so no heat haze for those distant
views.

Not much variety but there was a White Morph Southern Giant Petrel feeding just
off shore with the Shy and Black-browed Albatross.

A dark bird of the same size was also seen showing a pale face and bill with a
dark tip. It flew past the Heads and on east toward Cape Shank. I would have
said Northern Giant Petrel but the rump was noticably pale against the dark
tail and back.

There was also a Pomerine Skua that flew past heading west so all in all a
gorgeous day.

Oh, and there was a Swift Parrot ay the Woodlands Estate as mentioned in an
earlier email.

cheers

Jen