birding-aus

Ashmore Reef October 2007-spaces available

Subject: Ashmore Reef October 2007-spaces available
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:32:47 +1000
Hi All,
I understand the proposed eight-day trip to Ashmore Reef aboard a 21m (69 ft) charter vessel planned for 22 to 29 October of this year is still two or three people short of the required minimum to make it a goer.

If it goes ahead I'm going back for a third visit as both of my previous trips rank in my top five Australian birding experiences. These are fantastic expeditions with great birds (1st Oz record of Jouanin's Petrel on my 1st trip/1st Oz records of Asian Brown Flycatcher, Middendorff's Warbler and Lesser Coucal on the 2nd trip), great facilities and in my experience a really friendly group of birders.

If you haven't been to Ashmore before you are all but guaranteed some new Australian birds; either tropical seabirds such as Tahiti, Bulwer's Petrel and Matsudaria's Storm-Petrel or vagrant land birds such as Arctic Warbler and Oriental Reed Warbler, with of course the chance of something even more exciting thrown in. West Island, Ashmore, has breeding Red-tailed & White-tailed Tropicbirds and our permit allows us free access so we visit twice on each of the three days we are there. These days, we usually get the chance to also visit either East or Middle Island, Ashmore, or even both, on which there are large numbers of breeding seabirds such as Masked, Red-footed & Brown Boobies, Great & Lesser Frigatebirds, Sooty Terns & Common Noddies. Over the ten previous trips 35+ species of wader have also logged. There is also the opportunity to snorkel on some excellent coral reef, whilst at the Lacapede's, which we visit on the return leg to Broome, the vast numbers of nesting seabirds has to be seen to be believed. In addition to birds we usually see a good range of marine mammals and reptiles.

If people are interested they would need to book directly with George and Lindsey Swann at Kimberley Birdwatching (http://www.kimberleybirdwatching.com.au ph 08 9192 1246). Note that I have no commercial interest in these trips rather I am a punter keen to get out to Ashmore this year!

Regards,
Rohan Clarke
Ph 0408 947 001

Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29219&_t=762256209&_r=june07_endtext_search&_m=EXT