birding-aus

Willi Willi's Birds

Subject: Willi Willi's Birds
From: "Matt Hinze" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:35:36 +1000
Gday everyone!

I have been reading the exploits on here for some time now, and I thought
that I ought to share my adventures as well when they warrant a mention.
Worth mentioning was my visit on Monday to the Willi Willi area, about 45
mins west of Kempsey. It has to be one of my favourite birding spots!

It is a large patch of Dry Rainforest. Over the course of a 4 hr hike I saw
most of this areas rainforest species, including some not-so-common types
that many consider rare elsewhere. Within a few minutes there were
Yellow-throated Scrubwrens and Large-billed Scrubwrens everywhere, and
standing motionless on a log was a Russet-tailed Thrush looking anxiously my
way. It was one of 6 of its kind I saw along the way. Soon I tracked down
the call of the Wompoo Fruit-doves to a large Fig tree and was joyous about
the presence of an immature Rose-crowned Fruit-dove in full view therein as
well! Pigeons and doves abound in this area, with Bar-shouldered and
Peaceful Doves, Crested, Wonga and White-headed Pigeons and Brown
Cuckoo-doves all being seen within and near to the rainforest today along
with the Wompoo and Rose-crowned Fruit-doves.

Later I had nice views of a male Paradise Riflebird ripping into some
rotting wood. Nearby were Green Catbirds, Regent Bowerbirds, Satin
Bowerbirds, Logrunners, Pale Yellow Robins, a Noisy Pitta and a few Brush
Turkeys, along with the normal common rainforest species.

One could be fooled into thinking it was Spring with all the noise and
activity, but the cool dark conditions kept reminding me that it is only
June!

Cheers,
Matt Hinze