birding-aus

Re: What would you do for birds with one day in Adelaide in July?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: What would you do for birds with one day in Adelaide in July?
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:18:11 +0930
Hi Geraldine,

Onkaparinga RP is good but still a little quiet in July. I saw 33 the other
day there. I usually get 50. There is a Eastern Reef Egret hanging around
though!

The Belair National Park is on the way (sort of) and has a bit of life in
it. So to some of the hills reserves (Loftia Park now called Sir Mark
Oliphant, Mylor and Scott’s Creek.)

Another good loop is out north to the Barker Inlet wetland, and Greenfield’s
wetlands (right next door) with a stop at St. Kilda then back to Karuna
Park. But I haven’t been there for a few months.

For a good day close to Adelaide I do a loop. Browns Road Monarto (half way
to Murray Bridge, I can give directions), Monarto Conservation Park,
Paiwalla Wetland (just out of Murray Bridge – one of my favourite spots)
then the Mount Barker Sewage ponds and adjoining wetland (also a favourite).
Of course you could do this on the way to Melbourne but would arrive late!!

Don’t forget the Bush Stone Curlews next to the Cemetery at Bordertown on
the way to Melbourne.

Last time I was at Bool Lagoon (near Mount Gambier) in July I saw 3 birds.
Better to go via the Coorong but you’d miss the Stone Curlews.

If you go to Melbourne via the Great ocean road remember much of it is at
40km/h and takes forever. You can get good views of Rufous Bristlebird at
the Bay of Islands Carpark!!

Have fun wherever

Steve Potter
email: