birding-aus

killing native birds

To: "michael hunter" <>, <>
Subject: killing native birds
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:32:12 +1000
Hi Michael,

I, like you, until recently thought that all native birds in New South Wales were protected, with a permit system available for genuine cases where control is necessary. Someone told me that crows and ravens (corvids) were not protected on the NSW north coast. I checked the DEC (NPWS) website and found that corvids were only protected in the Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong areas, Galahs and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are not protected west of the Great Divide and Purple Swamphens are unprotected in various parts of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. My view is that all native species deserve protection but I recognise that there may be rare cases where lethal control is necessary. Often impact of native birds is better managed by non-lethal means such as appropriate netting, fencing etc. The reason for the unprotected status of corvids outside of the Sydney-Newcastle-Wollongong area is that they attack lambs!! Well there are very few, if any, lambs on the NSW North Coast and our common corvid is the Torresian Crow, a species unlikely to attack lambs. We also have the Forest Raven, a species that may well be threatened in New South Wales - and it is unprotected.

I will be attempting to have the status of the corvids changed to protected, particularly on the NSW north coast.

Greg Clancy.