birding-aus

re: killing of rare parrots

Subject: re: killing of rare parrots
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:51:31 +1000
Peter Shute wrote:

"And should we be going through the whole list, wherever that list might be,
and making sure all
the other species are listed correctly?"

Yes, but I don't think this is possible. The process is confused by two
issues:
1. Anyone can nominate anything, and there is a Scientific Committee that
assesses the nomination and adds it to the list (at least in NSW and Federal
legislation). Any entity can be nominated and the SC does attempt to
establish its validity, but this is confused by what is the "official list"
(see point 2). The NSW SC is fairly flexible on what they accept, but can be
very difficult to get things changed (there are at least half a daozen
species of animal and plant that I can think of on the NSW TSC Act that
scientific names have changed). The Feds seem to be much more stringent on
what gets listed, but they also seem to reject things pretty regularly that
may be valid taxa, but have to be proved so. The main point here is that
these SC are independent of each other (as should be expected under
different legislation) so the chances of them being the same is highly
unlikely.

2. What is the official list of species. Look through the archives and see
all the files on differing views on taxonomy. And plants are even worse. Who
decides the list, and whatever the decision people aren't going to agree and
so there will always be lists that aren't up to date.

If the reasons that the charges in Victoria were as they were (ie Vulnerable
not included) this means that the legislation is dodgy and needs changing (I
am not certain about what the rules are there, but that seems very odd). If
the Feds are using the excuse of the wrong subspecies listing, I personally
think that they are just shirking their responsibility as it would be very
easy to go through the arguements in court.

Cheers,
Peter

Advertisement: Live Earth ?07 ? artist line-up, Windows Live alerts &
tickets.
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=790&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://liveearth.ninemsn.com.au