birding-aus

Re: Red-chested Button-quail sighting, Western Queensland

To: "'Carl Billingham'" <>, <>
Subject: Re: Red-chested Button-quail sighting, Western Queensland
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:02:07 +0930
Whilst on the subject of Grasswrens, on Thursday ( 7/6/07),   I happened
to see  (briefly) a Grasswren just off the side of the road in a
floodway about halfway between Karratha and Whim Creek (after getting
the R-l Crake).  I didn't realise at the time but my books tell me the
only Gws in that area would be Striated so it looks like I fluked a ssp
tick. (Amytornis striatus whitei).  We had only stopped in our mad dash
back to Karratha because we saw some subpallidus BFCS - another ssp
tick.
We missed the ssp Spinifex Pigeons though, forgot all about them and
forgot to look at Whim Creek where Rohan had seen them.

Tony.