birding-aus

RE: Bunya Mountains, QLD

To: <>
Subject: RE: Bunya Mountains, QLD
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:58:15 +1000
Hi all

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions on the Bunya Mountains
(QLD - near Kingaroy).  We've returned from 5 wonderful days of peace and
quiet with the only the noisy visitors being the many great birds that
visited our yard (we rent one of the houses rather than camp).

I managed to add 6 new birds to my list:
Australian Raven
Speckled Warbler
Southern Boobook (my first ever owl sighting)
Hoary-headed Grebe (on the weir at Bell - a short day trip from the
mountains)
Pink-eared Duck (on the same dam)
Red-rumped Parrot (Koehler Park on the way to Bell)

All the regulars were at the mountains - King Parrots, Crimson Rosellas,
Satin & Regent Bowerbirds, Superb Fairy-wrens, Red-browed Finches, Catbirds,
Paradise Riflebirds, Wedge-tailed Eagles, Eastern Yellow Robins and few
sightings of Grey Goshawks to name a few.

I did try and find the Sooty Owl in the Strangler Fig on the Danadabah walk
but couldn't see it anywhere (checked a few surrounding trees with no luck
either).

I made a couple of quick trips down to Nanango, Bell & Kaimkillenbun.  At
Nanango I went to the Nanango Fauna Reserve but the dam/lagoons were
practically dry and I only found a couple of Black-fronted Dotterels,
Scaly-breasted & Rainbow Lorikeets and a family of Apostlebirds.  Our
friends had a small property on the edge of town which was much better with
King Parrots, Double-barred finch and Varied Sittella being the highlights.

My trip to Bell/Kaimkillenbun was great, particularly Koehler Park which was
alive with Parrots.  Red-rumped, Red-winged, Galah, Sulpher Crested Cockatoo
and Pale Headed Rosella were all sighted in this small park.  The Wambo
Shire Council has a good bird trail section on their website which I used to
find some good locations such as the Weir at Bell and a few of the small
side roads (on one I came across approx 50+ White-winged Choughs and 50+
Apostlebirds all flying around the same trees together, it was quite a
sight).

If anyone would like more info or a full list of sightings please let me
know.

Thanks & Happy Birding

Lee Mason,

Hervey Bay QLD

PS - anyone got any tips on places to go in Darwin.  I might have 3 days
there in early Aug (I've checked the BA archives and found some great stuff
so far).