birding-aus

Autumn update - reposting with amended link

To: "Bill Jolly" <>, <>
Subject: Autumn update - reposting with amended link
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:12:09 +1000
Hi Bill,

I just had a look at your website and found the photos absolutely superb.

I looked at the female Scarlet Robin photos and while the one on the left shows
the typical red chest colour it looked a little strange.  The photo on the
right shows the red with a more pinkish hue.

I consulted my copy of 'Bird in the Hand' which shows the tail feathers and
especially the amount of white in the tail.  The left photo of the robin with
its tail open matched the Rose Robin and not the Scarlet Robin, which has more
grey in the tail.  The relative length of the tail is more typical of a Rose
Robin than a Scarlet Robin.  The Scarlet Robin is a bigger bird but the tail
lengths of the two species are similar.

Could your bird have been an immature male Rose Robin?  The buff eye-ring
suggests a young bird.  The white forehead spot also appears a little small for
a Scarlet , particularly in the side view.

Greg Clancy