birding-aus

Little Friarbird

To: Gregory Little <>
Subject: Little Friarbird
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:46:09 +1000
Gregory Little wrote:
Gooday birders
Saw today during a walk, amongst other birds, a Little Friarbird and a
few Spangled Drongos on the Maryland edge of Hexham Swamp, near
Newcastle NSW. Have never seen the Little Friarbird in this area
although Theo Tasoulis reported seeing one a week ago near Morisset.
Greg Little

I saw Little Friarbirds in my back garden on 22 Feb this year - first time seen by me in Gloucester, NSW. We also have a small group of Blue-faced Honeyeaters that are visiting a friend of mine in south Gloucester and demanding treats. They line up outside her kitchen window - she seldom sees them so hasn't set up a pattern of feeding - maybe they watched her local magpie that comes for tidbits and copied.

The back garden is full of green Satin Bowerbirds, and I saw 2 black ones in the neighbour's tall trees 2 days ago - the owner of the territory quickly saw off the intruder. A green male spends a lot of time buzzing and dancing and chasing other greenies. He has a particular patch behind the orange tree were there is a bit of bare ground with a small tree in the middle, and dances around this, on his own, anticlockwise usually, spreading his wings, raising and lowering his tail and buzzing and hissing alarmingly. No sign of any bower making. I'd have thought it's enough to frighten any nearby female away.

Did a trip south of Gloucester to Craven yesterday. A few Musk Lorikeets in flowering Cabbage gums on the Glen Road, and could see one Jacana on the large dam where they have been all this summer. This dam is in direct range of the proposed open-cut coal mine so soon we won't have any Jacanas in the valley.