birding-aus

A cautionary tale

To: "Tim Murphy" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A cautionary tale
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:50:29 +1000
I have seen a fairly prominent newspaper article with photos, about exactly
this, from I think a Gold Coast newspaper or the Courier Mail in Qld. (My Mum
sent it to me.) Why a Qld newspaper would be interested in such a story from
Europe or North America is a bit of a mystery to me. The story below appears
not to refer to the other possibility being of predation (by the owl) on small
dogs, rather than protection, as the reason for these attacks. I'm pretty sure
that newspaper article I saw, referred to the owl attacking small dogs as an
act of predation.

I haven't experienced it but there are stories of the Barking Owl and I think
Powerful Owl being strongly protective of their nest sites.

Philip