birding-aus

Anti-Frost Fans

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Anti-Frost Fans
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 14:38:24 +1000
Birders,

I read an article in an old Australian Georgraphic yesterday which
discussed the use of large fans being used to disturb the air around
orchards so the frost doesn't settle over night and ruin all the
fruit. They looked a lot like a wind-turbine to me, but I suspect they
mostly operate at night. Does anyone know if birds (or more likely
bats, since they're near an orchard and operating at night) bang into
these on a regular basis, or if there are any measures in place to
stop them?

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW