birding-aus

Oystercatchers feeding in lawns

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Oystercatchers feeding in lawns
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:39:00 +1000
Hello all,

Today I spent the day down in the deep south between Southport and Cockle Creek in southern Tasmania (about 100 km south of Hobart). I didn't see a lot of birds and so spent more time taking landscape photographs and looking at footprints.

At Catamaran (near Cockle Creek), I was surprised to see a pair of Pied Oystercatchers feeding in closely mown lawn near Wood Ducks and Masked Lapwings. The Masked Lapwings were intermittently attacking the Oystercatchers, sometimes by charging and on one occasion by taking flight and doing a short divebomb. The oystercatchers weren't deterred though. They were probing deeply into the soft lawn of someone's front yard. I thought they were probing for earthworms but on closer examination of photos this evening the only item I can identify is a kind of grub. I've seen South Island Pied Oystercatchers feeding like this in New Zealand (on earthworms) but I've never seen our Pied Oystercatchers doing it. I haven't put the photos on the website yet- I might get them up tomorrow.

However, while driving through Dover (further north) about a half hour later I drove past a group of 6 Pied Oystercatchers feeding in the same way in lawn. Even more surprising to me was that there were 2 Sooty Oystercatchers feeding in the same way! Unfortunately I wasn't able to get photos of the Sooties feeding in the lawn. A car pulled up in front of them at the wrong moment and all the Oystercatchers got spooked.

Cheers

Mick

--

Michael Todd
Wildlifing- Images of Nature- www.wildlifing.com
Ranelagh, Tasmania
Latest Additions: Updated Australian Mammals Gallery
Mobile: o41o 123715