birding-aus

40 Spots at Peter Murrell

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: 40 Spots at Peter Murrell
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:57:39 +1000
Hello all,

Spent a few hours birdwatching this morning without my camera to reacquaint myself with the simplicity of looking at birds without the technical complications of trying to photograph them. I had a great relaxed time- I recommend all photographers do it every now and again.

First I visited the northern end of the Peter Murrell Conservation Reserve (south of Kingston, south of Hobart, Tasmania). Highlights here were a pair of 40-spotted Pardalotes, a Beautiful Firetail and the usual honeyeaters including Black-headed Honeyeater, Yellow-throated Honeyeater, New Holland Honeyeater, Crescent Honeyeater, Yellow Wattlebird, Brush Wattlebird, Eastern Spinebill. Some Black-headed Honeyeaters had m excited for a little while as they were calling like Swift Parrots seemingly in response to the close approach of a Grey Butcherbird. I'm still learning the Tassie bird calls.

I then visited the Truganini Reserve at Taroona (south of Hobart) and had a look for the Masked Owl that roosts here occasionally. I still haven't seen this owl despite their having been many who have been fortunate enough to see it. I have however, found pellets on most visits although there were none of these today either. Clearly it has multiple roost sites.

Not much to report on the Masked Owl front yet. I did see a white phase bird at a place called Woodstock on the Huon River a while back. White as a Barn Owl but with a muscular physique. It was on a fencepost in open farmland- probably watching for rodents or bandicoots. Its a pity I couldn't photograph it as it was on a bend on a dirt road.

I'm getting a good mix of birds in the back yard at Ranelagh (near Huonville, south of Hobart). Flame Robins are commonly around now. The Tasmanian Native-hens often entertain me with their antics in the paddocks around my house. Apart from their cacophony of song (sounds like saws through old-growth timber) they have scraps often involving 3-4 birds, where they leap into the air and into each other. They then follow this with mad chases up and down the hilll and through the apple orchard. Its fun to watch. They are pretty good on their feet- essential I suppose when you can't fly.

Cheers

Mick

--

Michael Todd
Wildlifing- Images of Nature- www.wildlifing.com
Ranelagh, Tasmania
Latest Additions: Updated Nonpasserines Gallery
Mobile: o41o 123715