birding-aus

FFG threatening process - Timber 'tidying'

Subject: FFG threatening process - Timber 'tidying'
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I noticed as part of the referral process for
threatening processes for the FFG Act that removal of
wood and fallen coarse woody debris was rejected as a
threatening process to fauna in woodlands.

Whilst it may not have satisfied certain criteria and
only applies to public land, that, along with
fragmentation of habitat, is a huge issue on private
land in Victoria. I can only speak from experience in
n. Vic. but now that the time of year has arrived for
'tidying up' and burning timber in neat little piles,
I am constantly depressed by the amount of time and
effort people put in to create paddock lawns in the
mistaken belief that a tidy farm is a well-run farm,
or that it is a fire hazard.

Goannas, babblers and curlews are thin on the ground
around here and constant removal of potential habitat
does not allow them to move from established areas and
puts pressure on the habitat remaining.

We do our best to relocate woody debris where we can
onto our own property and the increase in skinks and
birds such as Brown Treecreepers has been amazing, as
well as a healthy population of goannas.

The Scarlet and Flame Robins are back adding colour to
the only slightly green paddocks! They arrived on the
22nd April, a week later than last year and the
Diamond Firetails provide flashes of colour around the
vegie patch as they feed on windmill grass.

All we need now is some rain.....

Deb