birding-aus

NSW - Sydney (Eastern Suburbs) - La Perouse-highlights

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Sydney (Eastern Suburbs) - La Perouse-highlights
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:21:20 +1000
Hi All,

Went birding for a few hours in Botany Bay NP at La Perouse and adjacent golf
course areas.  Highlights were several Fuscous Honeyeaters (a new one for me
for the district), flocks of up to 30 Little Lorikeets feeding largely on the
heavy flowering of Swamp Mahogany (first time in four years that I've seen this
bird in the district), and 2 Lewin's Rails calling to each other from within
damp heath near Henry Head.  Also, after some Little Lorikeets had spooked out
from a largeish Swamp Mahogany, I heard an unfamiliar, un-lorikeet like call
from at first a single bird twice from nearby which sounded to me to be Swift
Parrot, but I've only ever seent hese once before.  Before I could see
anything, suddenly there were a lot more calls exploding from the area as birds
flew off, but the only birds I managed to see briefly were a couple of Little
Lorikeets.  I hung around the area for a while checking out Swamp Mahoganies to
find them again but could neither see them nor hear them.  Maybe they were on
their way up to the Central Coast.

Also of interest was a group of 20 Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrikes sitting strung
out in a row on a power line, and biggish flocks of Red Wattlebirds (up to 50).
 Cheers,

Frank

(Mr.) Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274