birding-aus

Trip Report: Alice Springs area 19-23 April 2007 (Part 1)

To: Birding Aus <>, Tim Dolby <>
Subject: Trip Report: Alice Springs area 19-23 April 2007 (Part 1)
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 17:16:44 +1000
Trip Report: Alice Springs area 19-23 April 2007

Tim Dolby and I have recently returned from a 5 day birding trip to the
Alice Springs area which encompassed several of the better known sites (plus
some new ones) throughout the area.

Recent rain (a couple of weeks prior) had transformed the normally arid,
parched landscape into a thriving environment, with vigorous growth of
seeding grasses/shrubs and flowering of many local species of grevillia,
acacia and eremophila.

Budgerigars were abundant in all locations in the McDonnells, with small
flocks wheeling around - their distinctive chattering and screeches
constantly filling the air. There were also large numbers of Crimson Chat.

The weather was fine, sunny and hot. Possibly even slightly warmer than
usual for April (around 33-36 degrees). Consequently, the best birding was
from first light through to about 10am, then later in the day (4:30pm -
dusk).

We managed to locate almost all target birds with the exception of the
nomadic Grey Honeyeater which was absent throughout the area despite
spasmodic flowering of its favoured food-source, Acacia aneura (Mulga). We
also missed some of the more cryptic species such as Black-eared Cuckoo (and
Cinnamon Quail-thrush proved to be elusive at Erldunda).

I have broken the report down into firstly, a short location précis and
secondly a complete bird-list for the trip.

1. Ellery Creek - Dolomite Walk (West McDonnells)
A traditional site for Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Spinifexbird and Dusky
Grasswren, Ellery Creek's Dolomite walk has suffered a recent fire (approx 3
years ago). Consequently there is no mature triodia (spinifex) and thus no
target species here. Grey-headed Honeyeater was reasonably common.

2. Turnoff to Ormiston Gorge/Pound (West McDonnells)
When you reach the Ormiston Gorge turnoff (from Larapinta Drive), travel
only about 100m. On the left hand side, just off the road, there is an
excellent patch of mature Spinifex. We had excellent views of several
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren and a single Spinifexbird within only 5 minutes. A
few Little Woodswallow (race minor) seen here.

3. Ormiston Gorge/Pound (West McDonnells)
The Pound Walk (7.5km) is a must. Spectacular scenery as you walk
anti-clockwise through the pound and back through the gorge. We picked up
Dusky Grasswren twice - firstly about 2.5km into the walk (in the valley
before you reach the saddle) and at the rocky outcrop mentioned in T&T. This
outcrop was the only site on the entire trip where we recorded several
Spinifex Pigeon (race leucogaster). Little Button-quail, Western Bowerbird,
Black-chinned Honeyeater ('Golden-backed' race - laetior) and Black-breasted
Buzzard were other notables. There was also several Black-flanked Rock
Wallaby in the gorge near the main rock pool.

Despite many reports of Painted Finch here, it proved elusive on the entire
Pound/gorge walk.

Budgerigars were abundant here, especially in the Gorge area. As we walked
through the gorge, small flocks flew up and back at break-neck speed,
attempting to avoid a pair of Peregrine Falcon. The falcons would sit up
high on the cliff-face waiting for the approaching budgies, then dive down
into the gorge to attempt a kill (one was successful).

4. Simpson¹s Gap (West McDonnells)
Nothing much here (other than tourists). Grey-headed Honeyeater recorded
once. Again we saw several Black-flanked Rock Wallaby.

5. Trephina Gorge (East McDonnells)
Interestingly, as far as variety and abundance of birds, this was the most
active and vibrant area on the entire trip. Many plants and Eucalypts were
in flower and the recent rain had triggered thick grass growth. Budgerigar
were abundant (even nesting in the tree above our campsite!).

We finally had a small flock of Painted Finch fly over, plus a single bird
on the Gorge Walk. On the drive out on the roadside, the bush was alive with
Crimson Chat, Diamond Dove, Black-faced Woodswallow (race melanops), Zebra
Finch, Western Gerygone, Hooded Robin (race westralensis) and other common
species. A Spotted Nightjar was also flushed near the campground entrance.

6. N¹Dhala Gorge (East McDonnells)
A site which required 4x4 (or at least high clearance), N¹Dhala proved to be
an excellent spot for Painted Finch. The best spot to see them was at a rock
pool about 3 quarters of the way down the designated walk. The pool has a
large rock face on the south side, a sandy area on the north-west, and there
are also several dead branches over-hanging the water. Painted Finch, along
with large numbers of Zebra Finch and Diamond Dove repeatedly drink at this
waterhole during the heat of the day.

7. Santa Teresa Road (32km south of the airport)
This is a recently popular site for Rufous-crowned Emu-wren and Dusky
Grasswren. I had good views of a male Rufous-crowned Emu-wren in the small
valley of spinifex 200m past the 'tyre wedged in the telegraph pole'. The
top of the rocky escarpment another 500m north produced Dusky Grasswren,
Red-backed Kingfisher and the only Grey-fronted Honeyeater of the trip.

8. Telegraph Station (Alice Springs)
This proved a reliable site for Red-browed Pardalote. Excellent views twice
- in the carpark and on the river bank down near the toilet block. Diamond
Dove and Brown Honeyeater were fairly common here and the only site that
Cockatiel was recorded.

9. Olive Pink Botanical Gardens (Alice Springs)
Unfortunately no Grey Honeyeater here at present. Excellent views of the
resident male Western Bowerbird tending to its bower.
Several Red-browed Pardalote also seen.

10. Kunoth Bore & Hamilton Downs Youth Camp road (50km north of Alice)
We searched many areas from the bore itself down the turnoff road for about
5km for Grey Honeyeater without any luck.

We did however get excellent views of several Slaty-backed Thornbill.
Chestnut-rumped, Yellow-rumped and Inland Thornbill (race whitlocki) were
all fairly common here, together with White-backed Swallow, Western
Gerygone, Grey Fantail (race albicauda), Southern Whiteface, Red-capped
Robin, Hooded Robin, Crested Bellbird (race pallescens) and White-browed
Babbler (centralis).

We later staked out the dam at Kunoth Bore, and just after sunset had 7
Bourke's Parrot land within 10m of us at the water's edge. This was on a
small rise on the south-western corner of the dam.

11. Erldunda (traditional area 21km north of service station)
This is the traditional T&T site. On one afternoon we spent many hours
checking endless numbers of Southern Whiteface, hoping for Banded Whiteface,
without luck. The next morning we finally located a few Banded Whiteface a
couple of kms south of the '2 trees' area.

Chiming Wedgebill was surprisingly common, with birds calling constantly
throughout the area. Other birds of note were Crimson Chat (many), a couple
of Orange Chat, Crested Bellbird, a few Pied Honeyeater which were
frequenting flowering eremophila, White-fronted Honeyeater, White-backed
Swallow, Western Gerygone and 3 species of fairy-wren (White-winged,
Splendid (race musgravi) and Variegated (race assimillis).
Unfortunately dipped on Cinnamon Quail-thrush.

While driving back to Alice an unfortunate Red-backed Kingfisher flew
straight into the side of our car. Tim said ³With some misfortune I¹m sad to
say that¹s a trip tick²

12. Alice Springs Sewage Ponds
Nothing ground-breaking here - all the usual suspects - most notable
probably Australian Pratincole (2), Gull-billed Tern, Common Sandpiper and
several Wood Sandpiper.

All in all a great trip. Many thanks to everyone who helped out with RFI¹s,
especially Bill Ramsay, Frank Rheindt, Gary Wright, Amanda Markham and Lorne
Johnson,

Cheers,
Greg Oakley

Complete list (total 112) on Part 2.